Monday, January 20, 2014

[book & movie review]


An enjoyable story of Italian immigrants making a new life in USA. Loved it.

So cool that after so many years of not speaking Italian (I used to know all the basics), I could still understand the Italian words in the book.

««««


Ok enough story to keep you reading but I wanted more out of it. I won't put it in my pile of "will read again one day" books.

«««¶¶


Won't go in my "will read again one day" book pile. Enjoyed the last part of the book the best. The topic of the book was a bit too dark and depressing (ghosts, demons) for me. But good enough for three stars, I guess.

«««¶¶


Salve for my romantic soul. More clean, romantic books please! I liked Edenbrooke better. Blackmoore has a dark streak to it.

««««


What can I say about this book? It was good, not great. It talked too much about food but if you enjoy talking/hearing about food, then this book is for you. It's supposed to build up into a great spiritual discovery, but to me, it fell short and there wasn't enough to add any great insight into my life. Maybe if I didn't already have such a strong spiritual foundation, I would have received some new thoughts on the subject. You can pretty much divide this book into thirds: one third is about food and what to eat while driving through the States, one third is about eastern spiritual thoughts and one third is about describing scenery during the road trip. I almost gave this book two stars but decided on three because at least it is a clean book and that's half the battle nowadays. Not a bad book but don't expect anything amazing.

«««¶¶


R rated. :( 
I was so disappointed in this book as I enjoyed the author's The Hypnotist's Love Story. Boo for swearing and filth!

«¶¶


Two women begin correspondence with each other during WWII. Loved reading about their lives. Beautifully written.

««««


««««

This movie would be perfect for today's Martin Luther King day. It is mind-boggling to me when people think they are better than someone else, just based on their race. This movie hit home too because it is only so recently that the black people have had their rights in the USA. We take it for granted but we should remember what was still happening in the world not that long ago. And if we think racism is gone for good, well, that's just not true. It still exists in many forms around the world. So sad!

There was one part in the movie that I did not agree with and that was when they compared what happened to the black people to what the Jews went through in WWII. Even though the crimes against black people were beyond horrible, what happened to them should not be compared to the Jewish Holocaust. They weren't systematically slaughtered by the millions.


««««

Such a good movie! Loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! :)