Sunday, January 12, 2014

[What are you afraid of?]


[image found via Pinterest]

I've been thinking about something lately. About how we limit our lives at times because we're afraid of failure or because we're afraid to try something new.

My husband gave me a gift certificate for Moksha Yoga a year ago for Christmas. Guess who hasn't used it?

I have never been athletic. I occasionally enjoy biking, hiking and nature walks but by no means am I athletic. Even way back in school I always had a hard time with phys ed classes. I often skipped them so I wouldn't have to exercise in front of others (oli paljon mukavampaa käydä Stockalla hattuja kokeilemassa tai isolla jädeannoksella Hakaniemen Torin kahvilassa). Skating was pretty much the only thing I felt comfortable doing in front of others. Isn't that crazy? I don't know where my shyness about exercising in front of others comes from. And don't even mention about being shy to dance in front of others. We won't go there!

So I have this dilemma - I want to try Moksha Yoga. But I'm scared I'll make a total idiot of myself. I'm not flexible (an understatement if there ever was one!). I'm not in great shape (another understatement!). I feel that even the beginner class won't be "beginner enough" for me. I wonder if there is a "can't bend in any which way" class available? 

So how do you overcome your fears? I honestly don't know. I'm still working on it. I'll let you know if I'll figure it out. I do believe that I will have to start small. Maybe start by imagining myself in a yoga class. Once I start to feel comfortable with just the idea of doing yoga, then maybe I will want to go do it more than I am afraid of it.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sansku, like you I am sometimes afraid by what to others may seem small to me are mountains eg. driving with lots of vehicles around. I would probably look for Moksha Yoga on UTube and see if there is any video of someone else doing it and even try a little in the safety of the house. Good Luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure most of us struggle with one fear or another. Great idea to learn more about Moksha Yoga. Knowledge brings power! Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  2. I felt the same way about yoga, but then my Aunt set up a girls night that kicked off with a private Yoga class for just a few of us. It was SO much fun. I loved it. And it was really relaxed. I think finding the right instructor is important.
    Also, I was terrified of running, but it's one of my favorite activities now. Just downloaded an app, took a deep breath and shoved myself out the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I need to do. Just do it! For the longest time I couldn't even think about exercising due to fibromyalgia pain but I have found relief for the pain and for the first time in a long time, feel like I could possibly do it. I'm trying to talk myself into going. I hope I can do it. Thank you for your comment! It helps knowing someone else has done it. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! :)